Platonov and God

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Jan 13 16:59:52 UTC 2009

Dear Olga, Sasha and all,

I like the lameness of the last part of Olga's
"I wish You at least were there somewhere--or something!"
But I prefer
"O Lord, Lord, if only you were there somewhere--or something!"

Another possibility, probably not quite so good:
 ŒO Lord, Lord, if only you really were, or something!¹
The 'really' may be justified by the fact that 'byl' carries far more
emphasis than 'were'.

Or: ŒO Lord, Lord, if only you were there, or something!¹

I'm less keen on Sasha's "Dear, dear Lord! If only you were
around...".  It sounds a bit too much as if the speaker is himself trying to
be funny.  Platonov, of course, may want one of our responses to be
laughter, but the speaker certainly doesn't.

O, Gospodi, Gospodi, khot¹ by ty byl, chto li!

R.