Platonov and God

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Jan 13 22:45:23 UTC 2009

Dear all,

Yes, I agree with Olga here.  Introducing 'there' weakens the meaning.  It
becomes possible to understand it as a matter of whether or not God is in
some particular place, rather than whether or not he IS.

Platonov often uses  'byl', 'yest'', etc, in this very bare way, as in this
exchange from Kotlovan:
'Зачем же он был?'
'Не быть он боялся.'

I think we should settle for
O Lord, Lord, if only you really were, or something!'

Thanks to all of you!

R.