Pozor Rossii

Maria Dmytriyeva xmas at UA.FM
Tue Jan 20 03:58:20 UTC 2009

I haven't yet received the letter by Alina Israeli so I don't know whether she mentioned it but there is another difference -- there was no Nuernberg for Stalinist regime.

talking about historic memory -- one of the brightest examples is that of the Great Famine (Holodomor). every time Ukrainians are trying to pay the debt of memory to their debt the Russian authorities would demand to stop slandering our joint history (and not only them, as a matter of fact -- I've seen by now thousands of discussions in LiveJournal of why Ukrainians should shut the f*ck up because there was no Holodomor, because everybody suffered, because it was necessary to create the industry and a whole bunch of other similarly plausible reasons).

there is a very interesting article about the different ways of work with the national historic memory in Ukraine, Poland and Russia that I highly recommend:

«Против упырей прошлого»: Голодомор и формирование исторической памяти в украинской, польской и русской культурах*
  Оксана ПАХЛЕВСКАЯ, Римский университет «Ла Сапьенца», Институт литературы им. Т.Г. Шевченко НАН Украины

http://www.day.kiev.ua/257039/
http://www.day.kiev.ua/257204/
http://www.day.kiev.ua/257356/

btw, one could compare these two TV projects -- Prominent names in Ukraine and in Russia.
in Ukraine one of the leading names was that of Stepan Bandera until rude intervention of the organizers that falsified the results so that the 'infamous' UPA leader would not appear as the most prominent Ukrainian what forced the project's editor-in-chief to resign. the entire story caused a lot of ruckus in mass media and blogosphere. (I cannot provide links right away but if anybody is interested in this story for professional reasons or out of curiosity -- please do not hesitate to contact me off-list)

With best regards,
Maria

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Alina Israeli <aisrael at american.edu> wrote:
>
> > I think this question remained unanswered. I think Russian national EGO is
> > as wounded now as the German one was after WWII, with one main difference:
> > Marshall plan was taking care

> > In other words, people are not looking forward, they are looking back.
>

> I fully agree with tis statement.
> A lot of Russian TV broadcsting nowadays is devoted to history,  to the
> past. It is shown either awful, or shameful, or so full of manipulations and
> mistakes that one has to know it very well to understand what was really
> done. And they - most of the viewers - are trying to solve the puzzles of
> the past and have no time or desire to look in the future

Windows server 2008 от www.hostpro.ua
2 месяца бесплатно + домен в подарок