Pozor Rossii and Western anti-Russian sentiments

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Jan 21 01:06:06 UTC 2009

The animosity towards Russia wherever and whenever it existed is
based solely on the struggle for world domination. While China
quietly grew its ranks and tried not to starve, Russia disregarding
starvation waged proxy wars first in Asia, then in Africa and Latin
America. There were organizations (maybe they still exist) that were
in charge of the insurgent movements in the Mediterranean, Latin
America, possibly elsewhere, I know of the those two first hand.

It's also well known now that there were training camps for
Palestinian terrorists on the territory of Eastern block countries.
And it was the Soviet Union that was behind the blockade of West Berlin.

While of course the Western attitude towards Russia should be
studied, what I find most amazing is the siege mentality which is
pervasive in Russian social discourse. Take this Leontiev series:
http://kbiho.ru/load/14-1-0-3896 — the West has been preoccupied from
early 1800 with only one thing: prevention of Russia's expansion in
Asia and elsewhere; hindrance of Russian interests is the sole
purpose of Western politics. When such historic programs are made in
the West, their main point is national soul searching and national
MEA CULPA towards the former colonies. This is not the case with
Leontiev films (and he is not alone). The underlying leitmotif is
"the Russians are coming and it's a good thing but the West is
holding us back".

On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Francoise Rosset wrote:

> I agree with Anyse Joslin and Andrei Shcherbenok, if I understood
> them correctly, that there is a special and sometimes inexplicable
> animosity towards Russia. As a Slavist and a professor of Russian,
> it always infuriated me that the USSR was singled out for special
> opprobium while we turned a relatively blind eye to the Chinese
> communists -- "inscrutable" they were/are, so I guess that absolved
> us from looking too closely.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW