SEELANGS: Gogol as Realist

Matthew Walker mpwalker at WISC.EDU
Wed Jan 21 22:56:16 UTC 2009

It's not unusual for the time. Trotsky is in a lot of ways only
repeating the conventional wisdom of the period, although the
questioning of Gogol's realism had already begun in earnest with Rozanov
in the early 1890s. Trotsky's take on the matter probably owes as much
to Chernyshevsky as it does to Belinsky (there's a difference). The
latter's understanding of Gogol's "realism" as it develops over the
course of his career as a critic is actually a bit more complicated than
the "father of the natural school" line would seem to suggest, and very
mixed up with Hegel in interesting ways.

Best,
Matt Walker