Well, I HAVE LEARNED WELL!

Anyse Joslin anyse1 at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 22 19:42:09 UTC 2009

OK, now the subject is closed.

I am reminded of Mayakovsky's "Past one o'clock"

It's past one o'clock
you must have gone to bed . . .

As they say,
the "incident" is closed
and life's boat
has smashed against the daily grind . . .

Why bother then
to balance
mutual sorrows
pains
and hurts . . .

Take care and I hope we shall get back to this some other time.

Now, for my query about Russian! I am very interested in books on
"Verbs of Motion." I am sincerely working on a document on verbs of
motion myself (in spite of my own lack of knowledge or certificated
expertise). I have four perspectives that I would like to put together
that can be used as a teaching tool to help American students to
understand the two "types" of motion verbs, how to read/interpret
them, how to determine prepositions to use with each verb/prefixed
verb of motion. I already have the book "Verbs of Motion in Russian"
by Muravyova as well as Mahota's "Russian Motion Verbs for
Intermediate Students." I also have Terrence Wade's "Oxford Russian
Grammar and Verbs," "Russian Grammar" and "The Russian Grammar
Workbook"; Patricia Davis' "Making Progress in Russian"; "В Пути"
by Kagan and Miller, et al.; "Большой Толковый
Словарь Русских Глаголов" (this has some of the
very best material on verbs of motion presented in an interesting
manner); Offord's "Using Russian"; the Russian edition of Russian
grammar through pictures; "Большой Грамматический
Словарь; Timberlake's Russian Grammar; Miller's Russian
preposition book, and many more. Books specifically addressing verbs
of motion as the single topic are so few (I only know of the two that
I mentioned above) and only one is currently in print. Muravyova's
book is out of print and Ohota's is written for a certain level of
learning. Also, the perspectives offered are pretty narrow as well.
What I would like to do is to present each verb set for each type of
motion in a "wheel" graphic as did Dr. Alexander Pronin in his book
"15 Russian Verbs a Day," in tables for each verb set, as graphics for
each verb set, and then the "standard" academic description. Providing
students with helpful presentations with a number of perspectives will
at least give them a variety of which at least one will "click" in
their minds. Of course, I would also like to present students with a
great number of exercises to go with the presentations as well: from
translation to interpretation, from "fill in the blank" to "describe
the reason" why this verb rather than that verb is used here, and from
prefixes and ascribed meaning due them as well as the prepositions
used with them and "making sense" of those prepositions and the cases
used with them.

If you can steer me toward any resources that I can get a hold of,
please, let me know. I would like to see as much of what is out there
as possible.

You have all been more than kind and I thank you.

Anyse

Anyse Joslin
9515 Kellingworth Court
Sacramento, CA   95827