The Great Russian Language/Turgenev

Olga Zaslavsky ozaslav at ALUMNI.UPENN.EDU
Sat Jan 24 17:51:10 UTC 2009

Dear Alexandra,
We had to memorize the passage about "velikiy i moguchiy russkiy yazyk" in elementary school; it's firmly ingraned in my memory.
I was trying to suggest that the verb разбушевался was not a linguistic experimentation, but a sarcastic reference, evoking
a cross cultural cliché.
Best,
Olga.