scholarships for foreign students to study in Russia?

Renee Stillings renee at ALINGA.COM
Sun Jan 25 17:39:13 UTC 2009

I believe they still do have a large scholarship system that appears to be
negotiated with each country in terms of how many students Russia will
accept. This is of course only for degree study and not "study abroad." I
don't believe the US is on the list of countries that participate in this,
but I am not sure. In other countries it is the Russian Embassy and/or that
country's Ministry of Education that is involved with this process so if
there are some allocated to the US, I suppose they would be the folks to
ask.

I believe also that MGU, SPbGU and MGIMO - and perhaps a few other top
universities - do not participate in this gov't scholarship program.

Renee

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of LeBlanc, Ronald
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:19 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] scholarships for foreign students to study in Russia?

Dear SEELANGers,

A former student of mine asks: "Do you know if the Russian government
provides any scholarships to foreign students who want to study in Russia?
I have heard rumors that such scholarships exist, but so far have not been
able to find any information myself."

Does anybody know of such scholarships?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Ron

Ronald D. LeBlanc
Professor of Russian and Humanities
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Murkland Hall
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH 03824
603-862-3553