Anekdot query

Michael Berry M.J.BERRY.RUS at BHAM.AC.UK
Mon Jan 26 16:42:21 UTC 2009

The elephant joke is much earlier than the 1980s - I heard it in in Moscow in 1961.
I don't think the heaven and hell one is a genuine Russian joke.
Another one I heard in 1961 starts off
one Englishman is a gentleman;
two Englishmen make a club;
Three Englishmen make a government .
and goes though various other nationalities and ends up
One Russian is a fool;
Two Russians make a queue;
Three Russians make a primary party group.
One Georgian is a leader (Stalin)
Two Georgians make a government (Stalin and Beria)
Three Georgians ...Thank God, there have never been three Georgians so far...
Is this the sort of anecdote you want for your class??
Best wishes,
Mike Berry
Honorary Senior Research Fellow,
Centre for Russian and East European Studies,
University of Birmingham,
Birmingham B15 2TT