SRAS Newsletter: The Summit

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Wed Jul 15 14:36:57 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

In part because we were disappointed with amount of coverage that the
American networks gave the recent US-Russia summit in Moscow, SRAS has
devoted this month's newsletter to intensive coverage of the summit. As
usual, the newsletter also keeps an eye toward those interested specifically
in language - we provide video links and transcripts when possible and have
also included a Russian Mini-Lesson on conflict and reconciliation as can
occur between individuals and nations.

You can find the newsletter here:
http://www.sras.org/newsletter2.phtml?m=422

The newsletter also announces a new application cycle for our Translation
Program, a Moscow-based program that offers intensive academic and
professional experience.

More information on the translation program can be found here:
http://www.sras.org/sras_work_study_translation

The newsletter also republishes two interesting article that advocate
language programs and study abroad.

Eight former secretaries of state recently published an article together
saying that America needs a larger foreign service corps, that that foreign
service corps needs better language skills, and that, in fact, "sending
diplomats abroad without language skills is like deploying soldiers without
bullets." In addition, Scientific American recently published a study that
shows that a semester abroad makes students more creative problem-solvers.

Again, all this and more can be found in the newsletter:
http://www.sras.org/newsletter2.phtml?m=422

Subscriptions are free, just let me know *by sending an email to me and only
me - not to the whole list* if you want to sign up.

Best,

Josh Wilson

Assistant Director

The School of Russian and Asian Studies

Editor in Chief

Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies

SRAS.org

jwilson at sras.org