Chekhov in the works of others

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Wed Jul 15 15:01:49 UTC 2009

Look for a dacha in contemporary Russian dramatury, and I wager you'll
find a Checkhov reference. Along eith Mukhina, Yelena Isaeva, for
instance, in "Apricot Orchard". The previous generations most prominent
exemplars, I believe, would be Victor Slaikin's "Cerco" and Liudmila
Petrushevskaya's "Tri devushki v glubom." And any time a character from
the provinces yearns for Moscow, "Three Sisters isn't far behind it.

On a different note, I heard African-American scholar Cornel West
sp0eak about Chekhov's importance to him as a writer on a recent "Bill
Moyer's Journal.

Melissa Smith

Lara Ravitch wrote:

>Olga Mukhina  also clearly references, re-works and plays with
Chekhovian themes in her plays Таня-Таня and Ю.

>Lara "Лара" Ravitch
>Dean, Lesnoe Ozero
>Concordia Russian Language Village

-