Chekhov in the works of others

Jan Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Thu Jul 16 08:49:03 UTC 2009

Furman, Yelena writes:
> Dear list members,
> Once again, an appeal to your collective wisdom: can anyone think of any texts, either by Russian writers or writers of other nationalities, contemporary or not, that somehow engage with, make reference to, rework, etc. any of Chekhov's texts?  Katherine Mansfield is an obvious one; Viacheslav P'etsukh is another (and I am aware of Lyudmila Parts' book on Chekhovian intertext), although he has not been translated very much, as far as I know??  Any others??
> I'm specifically looking for works that are translated into English, as I am hoping to include them as part of an undergraduate course on Chekhov.  I'm also specifically looking for works that engage with Chekhov in a concrete way, i.e., not simply with his style or tone.

Slawomir Mrozek:

"MILOSC NA KRYMIE / LOVE IN THE CRIMEA, which draws on the dramas of
Anton Chekhov, is one of Mrozek's most recent plays. In this work the
playwright draws a strong link between eroticism and love on one and,
and politics on the other. The play is saturated with historiosophic
pessimism and seems to turn its back on socially or historically
conditioned forces, seeing hope in what is individual. After historical
upheavals, man finds salvation in matters personal and individual."

http://www.culture.pl/en/culture/artykuly/es_slawomir_mrozek_dramaturg

Jan Zielinski