RE  :[SEELANGS] Horse talk

ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 17 05:25:08 UTC 2009

Back in the late 80's I became friends with a Russian jockey who
wanted to break into racing
in the US.  About the same time, by coincidence, I found in the new
acquisitions of the UC Riverside
library, a contemporary Russian "track" novel, that described a
Soviet world whose existence was
unknown to me, at least--a world of race tracks, breeding farms,
trainers, jockeys, and gamblers.
It was filled with wonderful "horse" jargon.  And through my
friendship I got to watch a training session
close up at the Pomona Fairgrounds (my friend had picked up a job
working out horses),
  and go "backstage" at thoroughbred farms in Riverside County.
The experience was even worth the five grand I lost "investing" in a
race horse.
Jules Levin