Horse talk (Grossman - V gorode Berdicheve)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Jul 17 05:33:37 UTC 2009

Dear all,

Ronald LeBlanc sent me an attachment with a surprising (to me!) photo (from
a riding exhibition in riding Hungary) of a horse (with rider on back) in a
sitting posture like that of a dog.  That, however, does not fit well with
the horse clearly rearing at the end of this sentence. So Inna Caron's
suggestion fits better.

This sentence presents a surprising number of difficulties. Here it is in
full.  My other uncertainty is about the language the Poles use.  Why is
their language astonishing?  NOT simply because it is Polish - this is, or
at least was, a multilingual part of the world, and I would expect people to
have heard Polish often enough.  Is it that the language they speak is
composed mainly of swear words?  If so, I perhaps should be trying to convey
this more clearly.

"The patrol would enter the main square.  The horses would bend their back
legs (??) and snort; the riders would call out to one another in a simple
and astonishing human language (??), and their leader, delighted by the
humility of this conquered town now lying flat on its back, would shout out
in a drunken voice, fire his revolver into the muzzle (??) of the silence
and get his horse to rear."

Отряд выедет  на площадь. Лошади  будут приседать  и хрипеть,  всадники
возбужденно  перекликаться  на  изумительном,  простом, человечьем языке,  и
начальник, радуясь  смирению навзничь  лежащего, побежденного  города, пьяно
закричит, бахнет из револьвера в жерло тишины, подымет лошадь на дыбы.

It has dawned on me that in this first published story of his, Grossman is
both wanting to prove that he can write as well as Babel and, at the same
time, arguing with Babel. Olga Meerson has pointed out that this is a story
about an initiation into a world of non-violence, whereas Babel's stories
are often about initiations into a world of violence.  It is an impressive
story, but the language has a rather showy quality; in this it is unnlike
Grossman's later work.

Vsego dobrogo,

Robert