Spelling rules

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Tue Jul 21 11:33:15 UTC 2009

"I can't think of a time when you would need to put a я (ya)
or ю (yu) after a ц (ts) when declining or conjugating a word"

First-year students (sometimes heritage speakers, but not always) can be
VERY inventive:
познакомиця
этому американцю

etc.

Of course, one can attribute errors like that cited above to all sorts of
things. But since я and ю do not occur after the eight letters (with only an
exception or two for ю), we might as well throw them into the lot.

-Rich Robin

2009/7/20 Edie Furniss <furnisse at gmail.com>

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> *Sorry for resending, I just saw that the Cyrillic didn't come out right on
> the first email.*
>
> I'm working on a handout on spelling rules, and have managed to utterly
> confuse myself. I've seen the rules presented in a variety of forms
> (8-letter, 7-letter, 5-letter/unstressed 'o', hushed). I've run into the
> rule that after ц (ts) you can't write я (ya) or ю (yu) - but is this
> really
> a spelling rule? I can't think of a time when you would need to put a я
> (ya)
> or ю (yu) after a ц (ts) when declining or conjugating a word - maybe I'm
> forgetting something?
>
> Wouldn't the most meaningful way to present the spelling rules to students
> be:
>
> 1. After г, к, х, ж, ч, ш, щ (g, k, kh, zh, ch, sh, shch) - ы, я, ю (y, ya,
> yu) must be changed to и, а, у (i, a, u)
>
> 2. After ж, ч, ш, щ and ц (zh, ch, sh, shch and ts) - unstressed о (o) must
> be changed to е (e)
>
> Thank you!
> Edie Furniss

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.