Spelling rules

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Jul 22 18:19:25 UTC 2009

Ah, this is exactly the way I learned them back in 1987; I believe the textbook was Ben Clark, now out of fashion (and likely out of print) but imprinted in my brain nonetheless:
1. after г, к, х, ж, ч, ш, щ  never write ы; write и instead, even when the sound indicates that ы should be written
2. after г, к, х, ж, ч, ш, щ, ц never write ю or я; write instead у or а respectively
3. after ж, ч, ш, щ, ц never write an unstressed о; instead write е

Deborah Hoffman
Russian > English Translator
Modern and Classical Language Studies
Vice-Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Treasurer, Ohio Board of Graduate Students
Kent State University

Original Message ----- From: "Edie Furniss" <furnisse at GMAIL.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:16 AM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Spelling rules

Dear SEELANGers,

*Sorry for resending, I just saw that the Cyrillic didn't come out right on
the first email.*

I'm working on a handout on spelling rules, and have managed to utterly
confuse myself. I've seen the rules presented in a variety of forms
(8-letter, 7-letter, 5-letter/unstressed 'o', hushed). I've run into the
rule that after ц (ts) you can't write я (ya) or ю (yu) - but is this really
a spelling rule? I can't think of a time when you would need to put a я (ya)
or ю (yu) after a ц (ts) when declining or conjugating a word - maybe I'm
forgetting something?

Wouldn't the most meaningful way to present the spelling rules to students
be:

1. After г, к, х, ж, ч, ш, щ (g, k, kh, zh, ch, sh, shch) - ы, я, ю (y, ya,
yu) must be changed to и, а, у (i, a, u)

2. After ж, ч, ш, щ and ц (zh, ch, sh, shch and ts) - unstressed о (o) must
be changed to е (e)

Thank you!
Edie Furniss