Sud'ba zakrestila za toboi i tvoei mater'yu okna rodnoi opustevshei izby

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Jun 9 06:08:52 UTC 2009

Dear Robert,

Your question is quite complex, for both Christian and Jewish themes
seem to be entangled in the images you mention.

It is true that the Christian cross has an apotropaic function, i.e.,
it is used to ward off evils of various kinds.  This is the case in
many cultures, including Slavic (for examples, see: Slavianskie
drevnosti, vol. 2, 653 ff.).  The X-shaped cross barring the windows
of the izba is not the typical Russian Orthodox cross with its tilted
lower cross-piece, however.  Rather, it is a Saint Andrew's cross,
supposedly because Andrew was crucified on a cross of this shape.  The
Andreevskii krest, moreover, is a favorite among Russian nationalists
(Christians, razumeetsia).  And I assume the great majority of
"kulaks" were Christians.

But then there is Grossman's Jewish identity, the reference to
Treblinka (Holocaust, his mother), and "madonnas and christs."  Keep
in mind that both Jesus (Yeshua) and his mother were Jews - something
antisemites do not care to admit.  Adolf Hitler, the one ultimately
responsible for the construction of Treblinka, actually believed Jesus
was an "Aryan."

Then there is an interesting coincidence in the ancient history of
Christianity.  I quote from work in progress:

Here it should be kept in mind that the taw, the last letter of the
Hebrew alphabet, signified a “mark,” and took the shape of a cross
(either + or ×) in Old Hebrew script.  It already had apotropaic,
salvific, and probably also messianic and divine significance in
Jewish thought.[1]  Origen (third century) quotes a Jewish Christian
who said that “. . . the form of the Taw in the old [Hebrew], script
resembles the cross (του σταυρου), and it predicts the mark
which is to be placed on the foreheads of the Christians.”[2]

[1]   See Finegan (1992, 343-348) for a summary.

[2]   As quoted and translated from Selecta in Ezechielem 9 by Finegan
1992, 345.

And finally, that log could indeed be the cross-piece Jesus lugged up
to the stipes upon which he was crucified, and the halo of mosquitos
looks like a crown of thorns to me.

With regards to the list -

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere