Another Igor Tale hoax?

Strakhov, Olga strakhov at GSD.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jun 9 15:46:46 UTC 2009

As far as I understand, in his book Robert Mann compares Slovo o Polku Igoreve with Nikolai Golovin's edition of the Skazanie of Mamaevom poboishche.
	Nikolai Golovin published his version of Skazanie in Moscow in 1835 (see "Skazanie o poboishche velikago kniazia Dimitriia Ioannovicha Donskago s nechestivym tsarem Mamaem: i s bezchislennymi tatary na Donu, na reke Nepriadve, na pole Kulikove, 1380 goda 8-go sentiabria: sochinenie XV stoletiia", izdal Nikolai Golovin [Moskva: V tip. A. Semena, 1835]; quoted after the copy of the Houghton Library, Harvard).
	Golovin's text in some respect is closer to Slovo than the Zadonshchina.
	The problem is that the original manuscript of Golovin's edition has never been found. Hence, it is quite possible (and more than possible, since this version is unique in many readings) that Golovin either "corrected" or "reconstructed" his text so that it might look more "Igor'-like".
	In short, Golovin's version of the Skazanie is well known, but is not considered to be reliable.
		Olga Strakhov

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Schultz
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:12 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Another Igor Tale hoax?

I recently received this announcement. (Below.) Is this a hoax? After all the decades of debate over the authenticity of the Slovo o polku Igoreve, we're now being told that a major source was OVERLOOKED for nearly two centuries? Can someone fill me in before I order this book? Is this for real?
Richard
schultz1970 at yahoo.com

NEW EVIDENCE OF THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE IGOR TALE
The Moscow publishing house Iazyki Slavianskoi Kul’tury has just published the first study of the Igor Tale to incorporate data from an overlooked version of the Skazanie o Mamaevom poboishche – a version that appears to be from the lost first redaction. Its new parallels to the text of the Igor Tale help to confirm the authenticity of the Slovo o polku Igoreve as an epic song of the Kievan Period that first circulated orally before it was recorded sometime after 1215. The rare 15th-century version of the Skazanie, published in booklet form in 1835 and subsequently forgotten, casts light on the evolution of the Zadonshchina as well. It now appears that the Zadonshchina consists primarily of an originally oral text, with a conclusion that was added from written sources. The overlooked Skazanie redaction helps to identify the boundary between the oral text and the more "literary" conclusion that was attached to it. This edition also presents material
from wedding songs and other folkloric sources discussed in The Igor Tales (2005).
Robert Mann, Pesn’ o polku Igoreve. Novye otkrytiia, (Iazyki Slavianskoi Kul’tury, Moscow, 2009), paper 96 pp., ISBN 978-9551-0323-5.
Inquiries can be addressed to the publishing house in Moscow  Lrc.phouse at gmail.com
or to me, Anna Dranova, (The Birchbark Press of Karacharovo): wolandusa at yahoo.com