Igor Tale found or lost? (STRAKHOV'S POINT)

Strakhov, Olga strakhov at GSD.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jun 10 15:53:13 UTC 2009

A few more: on Golovin see article in the Entsiklopediia Slova o Polku Igoreve:
http://feb-web.ru/feb/slovenc/es/es4/es4-2992.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Schultz
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:38 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Igor Tale found or lost? (STRAKHOV'S POINT)

Steven and Olga, I share your skepticism.
Olga, you seem to have firsthand knowledge of the Golovin version of the Skazanie.
What, exactly, did Golovin add to make the text more like the Igor Tale? That is, in what way is Golovin's text closer than the Zadonshchina to the Igor Tale? Looking through my editions of the Skazanie, I find no mention of Golovin's version anywhere, although Tvorogov has an entry about Golovin in Entsiklopediia Slova o polku Igoreve. He says nothing in his entry to cast real doubt on the authenticity of Golovin's version.
  Richard