Tolstoy citation help?

Kathleen Thompson kmt4n at VIRGINIA.EDU
Thu Jun 11 18:43:38 UTC 2009

Greetings!

I'm a PhD student at the University of Virginia working for a professor to
double-check some citations, and was hoping to find some Tolstoy scholars
here who might be able to point me in the right direction.

The first, from Tolstoy himself: "art is nature with something added".

The second: "In a recent study, Jeff Love argues that “While *War and
Peace*strives towards absolute vision, it also certainly fails to
achieve such
vision, what amounts to a hyperborean view belonging to the gods or God
alone. In this very failure is the secret of its remarkable realism, or
rather, the illusion of realism which has struck so many readers of the
novel.” "

The third: "Therein lies the peculiar power of what Boris Eikhenbaum has
described as the narrator’s *“otherworldly voice,” (potustoronnyj golos*, or
literally: “a voice from the other side”). "

(I have a note from the professor stating that "This would be either in
Eikhenbaum’s The Young Tolstoy or in his Lev Tolstoi (Wilhelm Fink Verlag),
probably when writing about the earlier Tolstoy. There is an outside
possibility that it was Chernyshevsky who used this phrase in his article
“Voennye rasskie L. N. Tolstogo,” in which he also coined the phrase,
“dialektika dushi.” ")

With regards to *Anna Karenina*: "...Anna is in the world but not quite of
it, that she is, in John Bayley’s phrase, a “vivid insubstantiality.”

Finally: "In the treatise, “Why Do Men Stupefy Themselves?” published in
1890, when he was beginning work on *Resurrection*, Tolstoy wrote: “People
drink and smoke, not casually, not from dullness, not to cheer themselves
up, not because it is pleasant, but in order to drown the voice of
conscience in themselves.” (PSS, 27, 42???)"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply off-list. Many thanks!

Kathleen Thompson
PhD Student
University of Virginia
Department of Slavic Languages & Literature
kmt4n at virginia.edu