Query about Russian Jewish Ballroom Dancers

Sasha Senderovich sasha.senderovich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 20:55:55 UTC 2009

There is a 2006 Israeli film called "Sipur hatzi-rusi" (in Hebrew the title
means "A Half-Russian Story"), which was shown in a number of festivals in
the US under the English title "Love and Dance." The film is about dance
classes taught by a couple who are former Soviet dance champions in an
Israeli city some time after their emigration, probably in the 1990s or
2000s. The couple's story is of unfulfilled potentials - I can't remember
exactly whether they talk about anti-Semitism in the Soviet Union which they
left, but it's likely part of the story.
Here is the film synopsis from the International Movie Database site,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814197
"Chen, a young kid, is battling a cultural conflict between his Russian born
mother and Israeli father. She is cultured and used to the finer things in
life, including theater and fine dining. He is gruff on the outside but
sweet on the inside - a Sabra; and looking to make his young son a man
rather than the wimp his mother is raising. One day, Chen stumbles upon a
ballroom dance class for young people and sees Natalie, a stunning Russian
young girl he falls in love with immediately. His interest in Natalie leads
him to taking ballroom dancing and to ultimately bridging the cultural
divide of his own family - through the Cha Cha and the Tango. The teachers
are a pair of former Russian world champions who never quite fulfilled their
potential, but find themselves battling their demons through the
instructions of the kids."

Best,
Sasha Senderovich

Sasha Senderovich, PhD Candidate