Anna Lisa Crone

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Sat Jun 20 10:05:45 UTC 2009

Dear Donna,

I totally agree with your statement saying that "Lisa Crone had a gift
for friendship".
I had a privilege to meet Lisa on many occasions and it was a great
pleasure to have Lisa and Volodya staying in my house  in London in
1994 for a month during Lisa's sabbatical. We had a lot of wonderful
conversations and outings during this month. We've also written
together an article on Derzhavin and Tsvetaeva, and drafted another
article on some metaphysical aspects of Tsvetaeva's and Derzhavin's
poetry. Her knowledge of Russian nineteenth-century and
twentieth-century poetry was outstanding. We've talked about many
other things,too, including Russian theatre. I think that Lisa had a
highly ethical approach  to her work and was happy to share her
findings with others. She gave an excellent talk on Derzhavin at SSEES
during her stay in spite of her very busy schedule.
Lisa was a great person to talk to and she was fun to be with. I will
never forget her dancing one evening with my daughter who was just 3
years old!.. She knew how to talk to children and how to treat them as
individuals, too. My children remember her very well.
Indeed, Lisa was a very generous, warm, intelligent and creative
person who had a profound love for Russian poetry. It's extremely sad
to hear the news about her death.

With best wishes,
Sasha Smith

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.