Anna Lisa Crone: to Sasha and Donna

B. Shir redorbrown at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 20 16:24:33 UTC 2009

Dear Sasha and Donna, and many others who would like to share:
I would like to ask your permit ion to quote your emails at the funeral.
Liza Ginzburg, Ph.D., Lisa's grad student.
 My email: redorbrown at yahoo.com

From: Alexandra Smith <Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Anna Lisa Crone
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 5:05 AM

Dear Donna,

I totally agree with your statement saying that "Lisa Crone had a gift for friendship".
I had a privilege to meet Lisa on many occasions and it was a great pleasure to have Lisa and Volodya staying in my house  in London in 1994 for a month during Lisa's sabbatical. We had a lot of wonderful conversations and outings during this month. We've also written together an article on Derzhavin and Tsvetaeva, and drafted another article on some metaphysical aspects of Tsvetaeva's and Derzhavin's poetry. Her knowledge of Russian nineteenth-century and twentieth-century poetry was outstanding. We've talked about many other things,too, including Russian theatre. I think that Lisa had a highly ethical approach  to her work and was happy to share her findings with others. She gave an excellent talk on Derzhavin at SSEES during her stay in spite of her very busy schedule.
Lisa was a great person to talk to and she was fun to be with. I will never forget her dancing one evening with my daughter who was just 3 years old!.. She knew how to talk to children and how to treat them as individuals, too. My children remember her very well.
Indeed, Lisa was a very generous, warm, intelligent and creative person who had a profound love for Russian poetry. It's extremely sad to hear the news about her death.

With best wishes,
Sasha Smith

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

--The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

 options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: