Simple Grammar Question

Nola oothappam at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jun 21 23:30:13 UTC 2009

Many, many thanks to all who responded to my question. What I have learned  is that it's quite complicated, worse than I thought. I understand now that context matters. I think...that if it is about demonstrating that something doesn't exist, then I will use the genitive. Otherwise, the accusative.
Thank you all again.
Nola

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Philip Robinson
  To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
  Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 5:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Simple Grammar Question

  As Alina Israeli suggests, apparently there was a shift over time.
  Genitive on negated direct objects was more common in the eighteenth
  and nineteenth centuries, but has gradually been displaced by the
  accusative.

  Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, such as strong statements
  of the non- existence of something.

  Phil Robinson

  Sent from my iPhone