transliteration question

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed May 6 16:11:29 UTC 2009

The website works fine. Congratulations. But I still don't quite see the
transliteration problem. If you use LoC without diacritics, which most
do, don't you get Kyiv and Mliiv? As to the use of the apostrophe, yes,
it can look odd to someone coming to this convention for the first time,
but the whole point about conventions is that they are conventions, and
almost all use the apostrophe. LoC has become the dominant romanization
system in the English-speaking world very largely because the OCLC
database, whether we liked it or not, became the main database used for
library catalogue automation, and thus publishers prefer it. Some
publishers at one time used a prime (minute sign) instead of an
apostrophe but I think this is rare nowadays. The worst possible thing
to do is to invent yet another system!
Will Ryan