Gender of Russian loan words

Irina Shevelenko ishevelenko at mail.ru
Mon May 11 01:59:09 UTC 2009

Annie,

Loan nouns which end on a consonant or short 'i' are masculine; loan nouns which end on -a or -ia are feminine, unless they are proper names of men. Loan words which end on -o, -e or have other endings which do not conform to any Nominative Singular type of Russian nouns are neuter, unless they designate animated creatures. E.g., 'taksi' is neuter, but 'kolibri' (a bird) is not: it is feminine, because it is "ptitsa". It is more tricky with 'kenguru', though, since there is no generic group to which we can assign the word; the gender of this word fluctuates, but the tendency is to consider it masculine, unless we want to emphasize the sex of the animal. A recent notable exception from the rule outlined about is, of course, 'evro' (a currency), which became masculine soon after its introduction into the language.

The three words you initially brought up never could be neuter in Russian. Neuter in general is considered a non-productive gender in modern Russian, i.e., new words are rarely neuter. Masculine is the most productive gender, with feminine somewhere in between. Several nouns in the course of the 20th century changed their gender from feminine to masculine, e.g.,: film (from 'filma'), zal (from 'zala'), roial' (without changing the form became masculine).

Best,

Irina Shevelenko