Differences between Russian spoken in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Slivkin, Yevgeniy A. slivkin at OU.EDU
Mon May 11 17:05:41 UTC 2009

Dear All,

Could any one give me a few examples of the differences between Russian spoken in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Differences such as phrasing (not phonetics). As far as I remember in Moscow people say десятый автобус, пятый автобус (desiatyi avtobus, piatyi avtobus), in Petersburg - десятка автобуса, пятерка автобуса (desiatka avtobusa, piaterka avtobusa); In Moscow a curb is called бровка( brovka), in Petersburg - поребрик (porebrik). Anything else?

Thank you in advance.

Yevgeny Slivkin, Ph.D.
Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
University of Oklahoma