Differences between Russian spoken in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon May 11 17:51:30 UTC 2009

It used to be that in SPb they called a monthly bus/streetcar/trolleybus
ticket (for one of them or all together) "kartochka", and in Moscow,
"proezdnoi".  I don't know if this difference still obtains.  As far as
baton and bulka, it is not the question of the shape of the bread but of
its color: all white bread is called bulka in SPb and belyi khleb in Moscow.
Best,
Svetlana

Slivkin, Yevgeniy A. wrote:

>Thank you Tatyana. Of course, baton vs. bulka and pod'ezd vs. paradnoe. How could I forget!
>
>Regards,
>
>Yevgeny

Svetlana S. Grenier

Associate Professor