Differences between Russian spoken in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon May 11 18:41:05 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, the phonetic distinctions described in Wikipedia are
exaggerated. One should first study carefully across social groups
(which unfortunately is not politically correct) and across the
generations. I have always maintained that the custodian's (dvornik's)
daughter who grew up in the same apartment building as me had a very
different pronunciation of Russian words.

But across the same social strata there will be much less phonetic
variation between the "two capitals".

And then of course Moscow has "valley girl" like speak, which does not
seem to appear in St. Petersburg. I hope somebody studies it some day.

Lexically:

http://aav.ru/smile/mospit.shtml
http://aav.ru/smile/pitmos.shtml
http://www.basic.aiesecalumni.ru/dictionary_mscw.html