Dogs in Russian literature

Mon May 11 23:13:33 UTC 2009

Dear Ms. Beljakova,

> Paul Gallagher says:
> go outside -- Иди на улице! (улицу? -- pbg)
>
> Yes, that is a 'new Russian' anomaly (IMHO) used by urbanites who have streets.

My question was about the case -- loc. vs. acc. Двор would've made
perfect sense, but not "иди на дворе" for the same reason.

> Walk -- Грясти [ isn't that to row a boat?  vb ]
> Do you want to go for a walk? -- Тебе хочется грясти? (very weird translit. -- pbg)

I was trying to decipher his transliteration "gryachi," which another
SEELanger has already pointed out was гулять via Japanese. Dictionary
offers: /высок./ идти, шествовать; наступать, приближаться -- not too
terribly far from "walk," but admittely a weird register for speaking to
a dog. Cf. грядущий.

"To row," of course, would be грЕсти.

I would also point out -- you seem to have missed this -- that these are
not my own suggestions, but those of a web site that I cited.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com