Summer 2009 Slavic Language Program at University of Chicago

Steven Clancy sclancy at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue May 19 18:26:19 UTC 2009

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Summer 2009 Slavic Language
Program at the University of Chicago
* courses in Russian at the first-year and second-year levels
* two 3-week courses in simultaneous interpretation in Russian<-
 >English (open to students at multiple levels)
* all courses run 6 weeks, June 22-July 31, 2009
* the 6 week course is equivalent to one year (3 quarters) of study in
the UofC program during the academic year
* courses will be supplemented by weekly lunches from area Slavic
restaurants and possible field trips to Russian, Czech, Polish,
Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian restaurants, shops, etc. in Chicago

Program descriptions are available at:
http://languages.uchicago.edu/summerslavic
and registration and tuition details are available at:
http://summer.uchicago.edu

Dear Colleagues,

Registration is still open for the 6-week intensive Russian program at
the University of Chicago. This year, the summer program will run June
22-July 31. In recent years, the summer courses have become important
opportunities for students to begin or accelerate their study of
Russian, especially for those who didn't have a chance to begin study
in their first-year in college or who want to get as far ahead as
possible in advance of a study abroad program.

Aside from the programs in first-year and second-year Russian, we will
again offer a unique course in simultaneous interpretation from
English to Russian and Russian to English for students beyond the
second-year level. These courses are only offered in our summer
program and provide excellent opportunities for students to improve
their speaking and listening skills as well as to gain valuable
experience in an area where they may be called upon to use their
Russian skills in the future.

We also have access to the Center for the Study of Languages,
satellite TV (for Russian and Polish) and Slavic film collections, and
have funding for catered lunches from Slavic restaurants and possible
excursions to vibrant Slavic neighborhoods, restaurants, and shops in
Chicago.

Full course descriptions are included at our website (http://languages.uchicago.edu/summerslavic/
). Interested students should contact Steven Clancy <sclancy at uchicago.edu
 > for more information.

Also, it is very useful for us to gauge possible enrollments early on.
Interested students should respond to this email and let me know which
courses they are interested in and if they will POSSIBLY, LIKELY, or
DEFINITELY enroll in the course this summer.

Please pass this announcement along to anyone else you may know who is
interested in studying Russian this summer. If you would like to be
kept on the mailing list for future messages and updates regarding the
Summer Slavic Language Program, please respond to this email and I
will add you to our regular mailing list.

All the best,

Steven Clancy

Steven Clancy
Senior Lecturer in Russian, Slavic, and 2nd-Language Acquisition
Academic Director, University of Chicago Center for the Study of
Languages
Director, Slavic Language Program

University of Chicago
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures

Summer 2009 Slavic Language Program at the University of Chicago
* courses in Russian at the first-year and second-year levels
* two 3-week courses in simultaneous interpretation in Russian<-
 >English (open to students at multiple levels)
* all courses run 6 weeks, June 22-July 31, 2009
* the 6 week course is equivalent to one year (3 quarters) of study in
the UofC program during the academic year
* courses will be supplemented by weekly lunches from area Slavic
restaurants and possible field trips to Russian, Czech, Polish,
Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian restaurants, shops, etc. in Chicago

Program descriptions are available at:
http://languages.uchicago.edu/summerslavic
and registration and tuition details are available from the Graham
School at:
http://summer.uchicago.edu

Summer 2009 Slavic Language Program at the University of Chicago

Summer Russian Courses
RUSS 11100     Intensive Introduction to Russian Language and Culture
1; Instructors: Robert Bird and Steven Clancy
RUSS 11200     Intensive Introduction to Russian Langauge and Culture
2; Instructors: Robert Bird and Steven Clancy
RUSS 11300     Intensive Elementary Russian Conversation and Reading;
Instructors: Robert Bird and Steven Clancy

RUSS 20101     Intensive Intermediate Russian Language and Culture 1;
Instructors: Steven Clancy and Robert Bird
RUSS 20201     Intensive Intermediate Russian Language and Culture 2;
Instructors: Steven Clancy and Robert Bird
RUSS 20301     Intensive Intermediate Russian Conversation and
Reading; Instructors: Steven Clancy and Robert Bird

RUSS 21700     Introduction to Interpretation (Russian-English,
English-Russian); Instructor: Valentina Pichugin
RUSS 21701     Intermediate Interpretation: Consecutive and
Simultaneous (Russian-English, English-Russian); Instructor: Valentina
Pichugin

Introductory Russian (1st-year Russian)

RUSS 11100 Intensive Introduction to Russian Language and Culture 1
RUSS 11200 Intensive Introduction to Russian Langauge and Culture 2

PREREQUISITES: NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED. EQUIVALENT TO ELEMENTARY
RUSSIAN (RUSS 10100-10200-10300).
This six-week course provides a comprehensive introduction to modern
Russian for those who would like to speak Russian or use the language
for reading and research. All four major communicative skills
(reading, writing, listening comprehension, and speaking) are
stressed. Students will also be introduced to Russian culture through
readings, screenings, and city outings. The course provides a year of
Russian in two 3-week summer quarter courses.

Class meets 3 hours daily, Monday-Friday (90 total contact hours).
Students must take both courses in the sequence (11100-11200), and
will be billed for two courses. This course is suitable for preparing
students to satisfy the College Language Competency requirement.
Students with FLAS fellowships require an additional 50 contact hours
and are required to take RUSS 11300 "Intensive Elementary Russian
Conversation and Reading". This course is optional for all other
students. [Hyde Park] Sessions I-II (6 weeks) MTuWThF 9:30am-12:20pm

The course is taught by Steven Clancy and Robert Bird. Steven Clancy
is Senior Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures;
and Robert Bird is Assistant Professor, Department of Slavic Languages
and Literatures.

Course Cost: $2670 for academic credit per course or $1815 per course
for auditors.

RUSS 11300 Intensive Elementary Russian Conversation and Reading

PREREQUISITES: NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED. STUDENTS MUST BE
CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED IN RUSS 11100-11200. This six-week course
provides practice in conversation, reading for research, and
additional grammar drill complementing material covered in RUSS
11100-11200 "Intensive Introduction to Russian Language and Culture 1
and 2". All four major communicative skills (reading, writing,
listening comprehension, and speaking) are stressed.

Class meets 2 hours daily, Monday-Thursday (50 total contact hours).
There will be one Friday 2-hour session during the first week of
class. Students must be concurrently enrolled in RUSS 11100-11200.
This course is required for all students with FLAS fellowships and is
optional for all other students. [Hyde Park] Sessions I-II (6 weeks)
MTWTh 1:00pm-2:50pm

The course is taught by Steven Clancy and Robert Bird. Steven Clancy
is Senior Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures;
and Robert Bird is Assistant Professor, Department of Slavic Languages
and Literatures.

Course Cost: $2670 for academic credit per course or $1815 per course
for auditors.

Intermediate Russian (2nd-year Russian)

RUSS 20101 Intensive Intermediate Russian Language and Culture 1
RUSS 20201 Intensive Intermediate Russian Language and Culture 2

PREREQUISITES: RUSS 10100-10200-10300/RUSS 10400-10500-10600 OR ONE-
YEAR KNOWLEDGE OF RUSSIAN REQUIRED. EQUIVALENT TO SECOND-YEAR RUSSIAN
(RUSS 20100-20200-20300). This six-week course provides a
comprehensive continuing course in modern Russian for those who would
like to speak Russian or use the language for reading and research.
All four major communicative skills (reading, writing, listening
comprehension, and speaking) are stressed. Russian culture will be
explored through readings, screenings, and city outings. The course
provides a year of Russian in two 3-week summer quarter courses.

Class meets 3 hours daily, Monday-Friday (90 total contact hours).
Students must take both courses in the sequence (20101-20201), and
will be billed for two courses. Students with FLAS fellowships require
an additional 30 contact hours and are required to take RUSS 20301
"Intensive Intermediate Russian Conversation and Reading". This course
is optional for all other students. [Hyde Park] Sessions I-II (6
weeks) MTuWThF 9:30am-12:20pm

The course is taught by Steven Clancy and Robert Bird. Steven Clancy
is Senior Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures;
and Robert Bird is Assistant Professor, Department of Slavic Languages
and Literatures.

Course Cost: $2670 for academic credit per course or $1815 per course
for auditors.

RUSS 20301 Intensive Intermediate Russian Conversation and Reading

PREREQUISITES: STUDENTS MUST BE CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED IN RUSS
20011-20012.

This six-week course provides practice in conversation, reading for
research, and additional grammar drill complementing material covered
in RUSS 20011-20012 "Intensive Intermediate Russian Language and
Culture 1 and 2". All four major communicative skills (reading,
writing, listening comprehension, and speaking) are stressed.

Class meets 2 hours daily, Monday-Thursday (50 total contact hours).
There will be one Friday 2-hour session during the first week of
class. Students must be concurrently enrolled in RUSS 20011-20012.
This course is required for all students with FLAS fellowships and is
optional for all other students. [Hyde Park] Sessions I-II (6 weeks)
MTWTh 1:00pm-2:50pm

The course is taught by Steven Clancy and Robert Bird. Steven Clancy
is Senior Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures;
and Robert Bird is Assistant Professor, Department of Slavic Languages
and Literatures.

Course Cost: $2670 for academic credit per course or $1815 per course
for auditors.

Simultaneous Interpretation (Russian-English, English-Russian)

RUSS 21700 Introduction to Interpretation (Russian-English, English-
Russian)

PREREQUISITES: FLUENCY IN ENGLISH AND RUSSIAN. STUDENTS WITH NO PRIOR
EXPERIENCE IN INTERPRETING WILL WORK FROM THEIR "WEAKER" LANGUAGE INTO
THEIR STRONGER; STUDENTS WITH MORE PRACTICE (ADVANCED AND IMMERSION
COURSES, TIME LIVING IN RUSSIA, RAISED IN RUSSIAN SPEAKING HOUSEHOLDS,
ETC.) WILL PRACTICE BOTH WAYS. This course introduces students to the
field of conference interpretation in general and to consecutive
interpretation in particular. It emphasizes the ability to understand
and analyze a message in the source language (Russian/English) and
convey it in the target language (English/Russian) in a
straightforward and clear manner. The course develops a student's
ability to analyze and paraphrase the meaning of a passage in the
source language, and to identify the passage's components and
establish a logical relationship among them. Students will focus on
active listening and concentration skills, memory enhancing
techniques, and the ability to abstract information for subsequent
recall. Basic elements of note-taking will be discussed as well. At
the end of the course students will be able to interpret 3-5 minute
extemporaneous passages on familiar topics. During practice sessions
students will listen to and repeat the content of passages of
increasing length and difficulty. Topics will cover daily life,
current events and the media, as well as general areas of students'
interest.

Class meets 3 hours daily, Monday-Friday (45 total contact hours).
[Hyde Park] Session I (3 weeks) MTuWThF 9:30am-12:20pm

The course is taught by Valentina Pichugin, Senior Lecturer,
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures.

Course Cost: $2670 for academic credit per course or $1815 per course
for auditors.

RUSS 21701 Intermediate Interpretation: Consecutive and Simultaneous
(Russian-English, English-Russian)

PREREQUISITES: RUSS 21700 INTRODUCTION TO INTERPRETATION, OR
EQUIVALENT; CONSENT OF THE INSTRUCTOR.

This course develops skills and improves techniques acquired in RUSS
21700 Introduction to Interpretation. In consecutive interpretation,
the following will be emphasized: clarity of expression, correct style
and grammar, proper diction and presentation, and strategies for
dealing with cultural and linguistic problems. Students will expand
their active vocabulary to include terms and idioms frequent in
extemporaneous speeches. At the end of the course students will be
able to interpret extemporaneous passages of moderate difficulty
derived from professional settings (sources will vary). Basic
strategies for simultaneous interpretation will be introduced, and
exercises will be provided to help develop the concentration necessary
for listening and speaking at the same time. The students will work to
master voice management, and to acquire smooth delivery techniques.
Students will learn to analyze discourse for meaning while rendering a
coherent interpretation in the target language with correct grammar,
diction and style. At the end of the course, students will be able to
interpret 8-10 minute passages from public lectures, radio addresses,
interviews, news reports, etc.

Class meets 3 hours daily, Monday-Friday (45 total contact hours).
[Hyde Park] Session II (3 weeks) MTuWThF 9:30am-12:20pm