Free Georgian distance course (U. Malm�) needs enro llment

Robert Romanchuk rromanch at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 29 17:51:14 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I'm passing along an appeal from Manana Kock-Kobaidze <
manana.kock.kobaidze at mah.se>, who teaches Georgian langugage distance
learning courses at Malmö University in Sweden. Georgian I, which is usually
taught every semester, is threatened with closure in fall 2009: the
University has raised the minimum enrollment from 25 to 35. If Georgian I is
cancelled this fall, there is a risk that
it will be cancelled for further
semesters too.

I have taken Georgian I and can recommend this course highly to anyone
looking for a solid and manageable introduction to Georgian, and to those
who are working through more comprehensive textbooks (e.g., Aronson's or
Hewitt's) that are challenging to self-study. The course is well thought out
in its material (logically ordered themes, limited grammar information) and
the means of teaching it (a combination of on-line self-check and
teacher-corrected exercises). It is taught entirely on-line, and Dr.
Kock-Kobaidze is very accessible and responsive, through e-mail and optional
Skype sessions. The course is also *FREE* (once enrolled, one must
wife-transfer a small fee, SEK200 or about US$26, to join the Malmö Student
Union), and a nice way to meet other learners from around the world.

The deadline for so-called late application is 28 August.
The official site
of the course is http://www.edu.mah.se/IM202E/
There is a link to the
application at this site.
Information about the course and a link to the
application are also found
here:

http://webzone.imer.mah.se/projects/georgianV04/INTRO/index_Georgian.html

http://webzone.imer.mah.se/projects/georgianV04/INTRO/apply.html

Please email Dr. Kock-Kobaidze with any questions: <
manana.kock.kobaidze at mah.se> Please pass this information on to any
interested colleagues or students. Thanks for your consideration!

Best,

Robert Romanchuk
Associate Professor of Slavic Florida State University Department of Modern
Languages 362 Diffenbaugh Tallahassee FL 32306-1540

PS. Many thanks to all who have responded so generously in our own fight to
keep our Slavic program open here at Florida State University. We will have
news about the fate of the program by mid-June at the latest.