the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Nov 18 10:08:13 UTC 2009

Re "Jeck" and "Peddington" - guide books to London sometimes tell you
that the street called Pall Mall is pronounced "Pell Mell". It still is
by posh old ladies who shop at Fortnum and Mason's, and perhaps the
Queen, although a few affected speakers may sometimes be heard to
pronounce it "Paul Maul", and a few taxi drivers may pronounce it to
rhyme with "how now". Otherwise most Londoners probably rhyme it with
"pal". I remember reading somewhere that King George V (I think)
explained the difference between The Mall (another London street) and
Pall Mall by saying "I walk down The Mall but I run Pell Mell".
One of the problems for Russians who have been taught what they are told
is good British English is that they often find it hard not to put a
strong 'y' in front of the 'e' (I am not versed in IPA) so that 'have'
becomes 'hyev'.
Will Ryan