Help with translation

Tribble, Keith keith.tribble at OKSTATE.EDU
Wed Nov 4 11:05:51 UTC 2009

Then in the United States it would be called cultural anthropology or cultural geography. kt

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Tatyana Buzina
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:56 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Help with translation

Usually, we use "area studies" (or sometimes "regional studies," too) to translate "stranovedenie" which applies to whole countries while "kraevedenie" is local and is used mostly in regard to places within Russia. "Stranovedenie" is something taught to students of foreign languages. "Kraevedenie" is offered to students of various aspects of Russian history and culture.
Regards,
Tatyana