Afanas'ev Tales numbering (cont.)

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Nov 19 03:06:32 UTC 2009

You are sweet to think of me and I did indeed work with both
translations, but not to the degree that the original query requested.
  I cannot match numbers to tales except through the very thorough
1984 Akademia nauk edition.

Natalie Kononenko

Quoting "Prof Steven P Hill" <s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU>:

> Dear colleagues and Prof Birnbaum:
>
> Do I recall that Prof Natalia Kononenko up in Canada had looked
> into the translations and originals of Afanas'ev's tales  in some
> detail, a year or two ago?  She might be a helpful source.
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Steven P Hill,
> University of Illinois .
>
> Date: Wed 18 Nov 07:48:29 CST 2009
> From:<LISTSERV at bama.ua.edu>
> Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
> To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU>
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:01:28 -0600
> From: "David J. Birnbaum" <djbpitt+seelangs at PITT.EDU>
> Subject: Afanas'ev tales in English by number?
> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> A non-Slavist folklorist (who can read the Cyrillic alphabet, but does not
> know Russian) is working on Propp and would like to be able to identify the
> relevant Afanas'ev tales in English translation according to their Afanas'ev
> reference numbers, as used by Propp in the Morphology.
> [ . . . . ]
> Surely in the more than sixty years since the publication of the Pantheon
> edition some Slavic folklorist has collated the English translations in that
> volume with the Afanas'ev numbers, and perhaps someone has compiled a
> similar collation for the newer M. E. Sharpe collection. Can someone provide
> such a list?
> Thanks,
> David (Birnbaum)
> djbpitt at pitt.edu