student safety in St Petersburg

Graham Hettlinger gph4 at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Nov 24 21:03:53 UTC 2009

Colleagues,

African American students (and other minorities) in St. Petersburg and
Moscow definitely face safety issues that white students do not. We do
not do these students a service when we tell them that cities like St.
Petersburg and Moscow are like any large city in the US - they aren't.
Students of color may well encounter much more overt forms of racism in
these cities than they are used to experiencing in the U.S., and at
times, these strains may be quite aggressive. Students of color bound
for these cities should receive an extensive orientation, during which
study-abroad staff talk at length about potential dangers stemming from
racism and ways to avoid these hazards. Ideally, in my view, these
discussions should be held with all students present, so that white
participants learn about the issues that minority students face and are
ready to support their peers if problems do occur. Perhaps even more
importantly, study abroad programs need to help minority students
connect with Russians while abroad. This, I would argue, is one of the
most important factors in determining how these students fare: when they
have genuine Russian friends (usually found through a host family or a
Russian university) who spend extensive time with them, the likelihood
of these students encountering serious safety problems declines greatly.
To be sure, this does not mean such students will not encounter
difficulties and challenges, but in addition to helping minority
students avoid potentially dangerous situations, Russian friends provide
a vital means for these students to process the less threatening but
still unsettling racist interactions they will likely experience.

I would add that while minority students should be given a complete
understanding of the challenges they will likely face, these students
should not by any means be discouraged from studying abroad in cities
like St. Petersburg. Minority students have often commented to me that
studying abroad in Russia was among the most rewarding experiences of
their lives, despite the considerable challenges. It is essential,
however, that these students be both well-prepared and well-supported.

Best wishes,

Graham Hettlinger
Associate Director, Summer Study Abroad
Georgetown University