student safety in St Petersburg

Drew S dwswear at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 26 16:32:41 UTC 2009

Firstly, the survey focuses on the African community because it was carried out by the Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy, many of whose members are from this community. Those from the Caucasus, East or Central Asia are not likely to be members, or if so, in very small number. If you want a more all-encompassing survey, then perhaps you should petition the Russian authorities to support you in carrying out one yourself.

Secondly, I do not think being verbally harassed with epithets like 'dirty nigger', 'monkey' or being told to 'go home because there are no bananas here' can be construed as anything other than being directed at blacks, and hence 'race'.

The study simply focuses on one group. It does not negate problems faced by other ethnic groups in Russia, or foreigners in general. Be that as it may, it seems rather obvious that being a member of a "visible minority" in Russia increases the risk of harassment and violence than it does if one is white.

Andrew Swearingen
Medieval and Modern Languages
University of Oxford