commentary to student safety in St Petersburg

Leigh Burns nashemir at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 27 13:52:23 UTC 2009

Hi there everyone;

I did not see the original commentary, and I liked and understand all the comments made on the topic.  Some may speak from experience, and some may speak from what they wish world would be.  I myself have raised this question in the past month to fellow classmates.  I am thinking of taking the trip to Russia but have been told by classmates that its highly dangerous, especially for people of color.  The classmate told me that Indian students going to school in saratov were roughed up, and he pretty much said I shouldn't visit the smaller cities alone.  I am a mixed person and I have been to many places on earth where my safety could ha been compromised, and I have been there alone.  I guess since I have been around the block, I thought the warnings were a bit uncalled for.

My comment/question is: I understand statistics and racism appears in many forms- should every non caucasian foreigner reroute their life away from russia just because a statistic says some caucasian has more of an idea to hurt me just because my skin color isn't like theirs?

Since this is being discussed in this circle and forum...should I keep my plans to live in Russia?  Or should I scrap the idea?

I ask this question because I've got a bit of experience being racially discriminated against.  I don't think I will let a statistic will scare me away fro the possibility of working in Moscow in the future.

As a minority in America, on one hand, I have and continue to face the same difficulties and dangerous had I lived in my mother's hometown of Pontotoc Mississippi, where skin head and klansmen want to rid themselves of the black people who live in the community. I face those same dangers if I am on the wrong side of a white supremacy rally in ,lets say, a state like Montana or Idaho. I face those same dangerous where I live in Arizona from backwards thinking chaps who believe in white power.  I heard racial slants against me even though I am in the military.

On the other hand, I don't think I should regulate my activities because of my brown skin.  If that were so, then the civil rights movement would not have happened.  If that were so then many people on earth would not have ever been.  If that were the case then I should be living in fear all the days of my life rather than enjoying all the world and its culture.

For the record, I've had racial slurs thrown at me through passing vehicles, and I was curious to know if the time and place were different would they do that.  I've been randomly pulled over because Im a brown skinned girl driving a car with tinted windows.  I've been the object of store owners glances because they think 'we all' steal.

I do plan to make the trip across the pond agin to Moscow, Pete, and other places.  I think I will be alone during many parts of my journey as well.  MLK combatted racism by actually presenting it to the american population to understand.

I am not sure if racism is exactly the same in russia, but the roots of racism are generally from the same fear and mindset.  Whether Russians would be racist because they completely hate and dislike another race to the point of extermination or enslavement, or whether they just are not used to people living amongst them who look different, I can't see us foreigners not going there just because there is a possibility for us to be roughed up.  One one hand, it happens everywhere. One the other hand, knowing the facts is good for your personal what we call in the military, SA, or situational awareness.

Leigh B
University of Arizona Graduate student
EC-130H Russian Linguist
Davis Monthan Air Force Base,