student safety in St Petersburg

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Fri Nov 27 21:19:40 UTC 2009

If the problem under investigation is to identify practical solutions we
may consider a) to fight for making Russia a hate-crimes free democratic
country. If it does look realistic enough for someone, then we can go for
b)- not to send/to bring students (and possibly avoid our own trips) to
this country. If some Russian programs and their advisors won't use this
possibility then c)they might develop a nationwide safety program for
American students/scholars who are still looking forward to visiting Russia
- in collaboration with American and Russian government/officials in
charge. Or c-1) to develop a safety program for your own institution. In
both c) and c-1) the consultations from high-profile specialsts on security
issues would be crucial. And of course (just for making this list more or
less complete) we can use the widely popular "авось..." or "Б-г не
выдаст, свинья не съест". :))

Vadim Besprozvany