student safety in St Petersburg

Shlomit Gorin shlogo at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 28 04:24:06 UTC 2009

I'm not so sure that "many" hate crimes - high-profile or not - have turned
out to be fabrications or distractions. I think it's more likely the case
that a negligent percentage of them have. In any case, I can't really think
of many things that are entirely safe from the possibility of distortion,
and I can't really see how including this type of caveat is necessary or
productive unless the distortion is so frequent or severe that it warrants
mentioning. Moreover, I think it's safe to say that when we're talking about
hate crimes - regardless of where or to whom they occur - the assumption can
be made that there are many more that are committed than reported, which
significantly lowers the percentage of those that turn out to be
distortions.