commentary to student safety in St Petersburg

Sergey Karpukhin sak5w at VIRGINIA.EDU
Sat Nov 28 10:19:57 UTC 2009

On the issue of homophobia in Russia, Igor Kon has expressed some interesting ideas in one of the recent episodes of the talk show "Shkola zloslovia" with Avdotia Smirnova and Tatiana Tolstoy. Professor Kon has extensive sociological background and he cited sources according to which homophobia in Russia had actually been on the decrease up to around 2003, when it was adopted as part of political practice. To put it simply, homophobia is now felt to be endorsed by the authorities (what with the cancelled gay parade in Moscow, etc.). The full video is available at: http://video.yandex.ru/users/prozapas5/view/5/.

Sergey Karpukhin
Graduate Student
UW-Madison
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jane Costlow
  To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
  Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] commentary to student safety in St Petersburg

  I've been reading this lengthy conversation with particular interest,
  since I'm currently winding up a semester program in St. Petersburg with
  24 students from Bates College; we have a particularly diverse group
  (two young women from India, a young man from Turkey, two hispanic
  students, a woman from Thailand).  I'm not chiming in here with any
  commentary (although I wholeheartedly agree with the proposition that in
  bringing a group like this it is imperative to do preparatory work that
  involves conversations with ALL students about a range of difficult
  issues) - in fact the semester has gone very smoothly, and the Indian
  young woman who was initially frightened (as much by her parents' fears
  as by not understanding what people on the street were saying to her) is
  now proud of being able to surprise people with her ability to tell the
  marshrutka driver where to stop.   Our hispanic and Turkish students
  have been stopped and asked for their documents but on presenting them
  have been cordially sent on their way.  The far bigger issue for me has
  been getting American students of whatever color to behave in ways that
  are respectful of others, in conditions that are NOT dormitories.  And
  of course drinking.

  What I want to note here is that a particularly helpful outcome of this
  lengthy discussion would be a list of potential readings, films, etc.,
  that we as teachers might use to frame discussions on the issues that
  have been raised here.  These would ideally be readings that are not
  just about the problems and challenges but also about ways in which
  different groups within Russia are addressing (or not) those issues.

  One final note:  over the fall I've picked up various popular media
  publications - everything from Argumenty i fakty to my local
  neighborhood free paper, which gets distributed in the grocery store -
  whose articles address the very issues we're talking about here.  The
  Aif piece talked about mixed marriages (one horror story, one happy
  ending, and some interesting sociological data about why Russian women
  are increasingly interested in non-Russian men); the grocery store
  publication described the increasingly non-Russian population of St.
  Petersburg's neighborhoods and schools - particularly in the outlying
  districts, where they suggest the percentage of non-Russians is
  approaching 50%.   The article was focused on how Russian schools and
  schoolteachers are contending with mixed populations in their classrooms.

  Any of this material - and lots of other materials, for sure - could
  become the basis of really interesting classroom work or preparation for
  study abroad.  I for one would love it if there were a web-based or
  somehow easily available resource list that we could contribute to/build
  on and tap into for classes, whether they're in Russian or English.

  Jane Costlow
  Bates College