commentary to student safety in St Petersburg

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Nov 28 21:38:56 UTC 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Dustin Hosseini wrote:

> I did not take that extreme point of view, but if that is the case,
> then
> perhaps the US should vocally criticize Russia for it's lack of
> care/protection towards these groups (racial minorities and gays)
> then.

We cannot even articulate the support of Tibet let alone some
minorities elsewhere. And if anyone raises their voices these are
usually non-governmental voices; should I remind you how the
apartheid has ended? It was all those students protesting in NY, who
first forced their universities to divest, which led to the
divestiture by the US government, which brought the S African
government to the table.

So it's the grass root organizations and the NGOs that did it (I
don't want to minimize the internal struggle, but it went on for
decades).

> I think you mistook my point.  I do not think the average Russian
> welcomes
> foreigners barging into Russia with their 'foreign' ideas.  The gay
> rights'
> movement in Moscow is one example of this kind of 'barging in'.

The dislike of things foreign actually unites the US and Russia. I
can't recall what US senator said not long ago "we don't need no
European influence" (not verbatim).

Are you telling me that Moscow gays loved being in the closet and in
prisons? Soviet laws http://temp.1gay.ru/cccp.shtml considered
homosexuality illegal. And the beauty of Russian prisons has been in
evidence lately. The description of Soviet camps and their treatment
of homosexuals can be found in the vast prison literature.

You are possibly confusing gay rights and gay parade. Only those gays
afflicted by self-hatred and the Stockholm syndrome can be against
having equal rights with heterosexuals, although self-hatred and
shame are not uncommon among minorities of all stripes.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.