[SEELA NGS] comme ntary to s tudent saf ety in St Petersburg ‏

Giuliano Vivaldi giulianovivaldi at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 29 01:27:54 UTC 2009

Jane CostlowWhat I want to note here is that a particularly helpful outcome of this
> lengthy discussion would be a list of potential readings, films, etc.,
> that we as teachers might use to frame discussions on the issues that
> have been raised here.Adding to Curt Woolhiser's excellent list (I agree that Sova is a particularly good source of factual information collected by an excellent organisation) there is a Russian film which has tried to address (in a mainstream film) some issues regarding racism in Russian society. It is called 'Gagarin's Grandson' and was reviewed in Kinokultura

http://www.kinokultura.com/2008/20r-vnuk.shtml

Of course, the much harder hitting 'mockumentary' (for want of a better term) 'Russia 88' about skinhead violence and Russian neo nazis by Pavel Bardin is the other film that immediately springs to mind

http://www.kinokultura.com/2009/26r-russia88.shtml

Giuliano Vivaldi
Independent Film Scholar

giulianovivaldi at hotmail.com