student safety in St Petersburg

B. Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz amarilis at BUGBYTES.COM
Sun Nov 29 22:07:06 UTC 2009

I would like to share an anecdote from one of my students. I teach at
Howard University, a historically Black University. My student got a
Fulbright to teach English in Omsk. Yeah, Omsk. I had to go to the map
to find out where it was. As probably the first African American to go
to Omsk, people remembered her.

After numerous trips to the local theater, the coat check, a gray haired
Russian man, looked at her and may: "mozhno zadavat' vam neskromnyi
vopros?" Could I ask you a personal question? She said, sure. He then
asked her if she had always been so black. As in, how could it possibly
be that anyone's natural skin color could be so Black. She replied she
got it from her parents. He was just absolutely curious as to this
strange being he had never seen before.

She actually enjoyed her experience in Omsk. A lot. I myself am Puerto
Rican, and my experience has mostly been in St. Petersburg. I found more
problems in St. Petersburg from being a woman with that "darker
complexion" than from being a "minority."

Yes, I do warn students that they will see kinds of racial treatment
they have never seen before. Then again, sexual harassment is of a kind
never experienced before, either. Either ways, it is a case an ounce of
prevention being worth a pound of cure.

Regards
Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz, ph. d.
Howard University, Lecturer