Russian alphabet song

J.W. jw at kanadacha.ca
Sat Oct 3 02:51:24 UTC 2009

Ottawa (Canada), Friday 2/10/09 22h35 EDT

Dear SEELANGers,

I have been away and am just catching up on my September's SEELANGS
postings.

I was interested in the discussion of Russian alphabet songs first
raised by Devin Browne on 16 September.

When I taught Russian, in the absence of any standard alphabet song to
my knowledge, I discovered that the Russian alphabet could easily be
sung to the tune of "Podmoskovnye vechera" (Moscow nights).

1st line: А - Й (A to I-kratkoe incl. -- not including Yo)
2nd line: К - С (K to S incl.)
3rd line: Т - Ъ (T to Tverdyj znak incl.)
4th line: Ы - Я (Yery to Ya incl.)

I generally taught this 'alphabet song' in conjunction with the real
words of "Podmoskovnye vechera", along with a singable English
translation.  For the translation
see:http://kanadacha.ca/poetry/pesni.html

John Woodsworth
Certified Translator (Russian-English), ATIO
Member, Literary Translators' Association of Canada
Adm. Assistant & Research Associate,
   Slavic Research Group at the University of Ottawa
Website: http://www.kanadacha.ca
E-mail: jw at kanadacha.ca