Looking for your opinions on teaching time to beginning Russian students

Devin Browne dpbrowne at MAC.COM
Sat Oct 3 03:22:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:36:18 -0400, Olga Meerson <meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU> wrote:

>What would the poor darlings do if they stop someone down the street, asking what time
it is, and the person tells them, "пять минут двенадцÐ
°Ñ‚ого"? Surviving answering machines is one thing but surviving a stroll down the
street (esp. in today's Russia! no, actually always) is quite another matter.

Hmmmm....  Maybe then it's a question of stressing the receptive skills of recognizing
(listening mostly) the times but de-emphasizing productive skills (actually saying time in
that fashion) when it comes to this issue.

I appreciate your comment (as well as those of some other people that replied to me
directly).  :-)