Russ. sci-fi, 1930s (cont.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Oct 4 07:30:34 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues:

I already posted my response to Prof Thorsen's query on
"SlavCin," but for those of you who don't subscribe to it,
I'll repeat my response below. -- Hill.

    *  Date:  Sat 3 Oct 17:22:47 CDT 2009
    * From: Prof Steven P Hill <s-hill4 at illinois.edu>
    * Subject: [slavcin-l] Russ. sci-fi films (cont.)
    * To: slavcin-l at wm.edu
    * Cc: ent7 at pitt.edu

Dear colleagues:

I've heard of "Gibel' sensatsii" (1934, I think dir. by Andrievskii),
 but haven't ever seen it.

Although that title has been misleadingly translated as "Loss of
Sensation," the plot description in "Sovetskie khudozhestvennye
fil'my" (v. 2) sounds very close to James Whale's "Frankenstein"
(Universal '31).  I.e., obsessed scientist creates monster which
eventually runs wild and destroys him.  (Maybe it should have
been translated as "Death of the Sensational Monster"?)

Has anyone out there ever seen "Gibel' sensatsii" (1934)?   Has
it been preserved -- or has the Gosfil'mofond archive lost the
negative?

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.