Science Fiction Films

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Sun Oct 4 18:33:23 UTC 2009

Dear SEELANGS-ers,

In his message Professor Hill mentions "Gibel sensatsii", a great Soviet
sci-fi film. This is a screen adaptation of "R.U.R." by Karel Čapek. The
film (produced in 1935, first screening - April 17, 1935) has another
title: "Robot Dzhima Riplia" (Jim Ripley's Robot - the transliteration
looks weird:). Since 1935 this film was on screen just couple of times. In
the 90s it appeared on the Berlin Film Festival. In March 2009 a limited
audience enjoyed the film at Illusion in Moscow. It makes me to believe
that there is more than one copy available through the Gosfilmofond, but
according to my limited experience any contact with them is just a
headache. Also you can find tit-bits from the film on YouTube under the
original title (in Cyrillic).

Best,

Vadim