spootnik

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Oct 9 10:52:38 UTC 2009

I would agree with that. In fact I remember an English tabloid headline
unkindly referring to a failed satellite launch as a 'phutnik' - and it
was referring to a US rocket. The cheap press can't resist a bad pun
whatever its target. Apart from serious expressions of concern about the
extension of the cold war into space, the only anti-Soviet comment on
the early Russian space program that I recall in Britain was also in the
tabloid press and expressed outrage at the cruel exploitation of dogs
(the famous Laika) - always a good thing to accuse foreigners of in
English popular newspapers.
Will Ryan