spootnik

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Fri Oct 9 16:02:03 UTC 2009

I am forced to retract my disparaging guess that no one here under 30 knows
what sputnik was, no matter how it's pronounced. My 15-year-old daughter
polled both her soccer team and her 10th grade advisory. Everyone knew!
(Everyone, she reported, used a short "u" for the word.) Okay... it's
a minuscule sample and skewed towards kids from upper middle class families.
But I didn't think *anyone *would know. I stand corrected.
-Rich Robin

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Melissa Smith <mtsmith02 at ysu.edu> wrote:

> JOKE.
>
>  I tell my students that there is a cause-and-effect link between my
> life and recent Russian Soviet history - Stalin died the year after I
> was born, my earliest memories was seeing the McCarthy hearings on my
> cousins' television,  and I started first grade the year Sputnik was
> launched. Irony was what kept me in the profession.
>
> Best wishes, Melissa Smith
>

> Michele A. Berdy wrote:
>

> >I'm a little slow tonight -- is this a joke or do you really believe
> this?

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program
The George Washington University